Warkworth is a scenic Village in
northeast England in Northumberland, 37
miles south of Berwick Upon Tweed, 31
miles north of Newcastle.
Warkworth is popular for its Castle,
St Laurence Church at the Market
Square, Old Bridge on the east side,
Golf Club half mile east, Beach under 1
mile east, and Hermitage on the banks of the
River Coquet under 1 mile west.
Area Attractions Click on
The image top is looking down Castle
Street towards the Market Square and St
Around the Market Square is where most of
the Shops and Diners are situated.
The Church of St
Laurence was built from the 1100s, with
later additions in the 1300s and 1400s. This
Church was built on the site of a smaller
Saxon Church from the 700s.
Castle is at the top of Castle Street,
highest point in the Village. The first
Timber Fort on this site is said to have been
built for King Henry II of England, with
Roger fitz Richard running the Fort for the
King, with his family building the first
sections of the Stone Castle.
The Percy family from Alnwick
Castle gained control of Warkworth Castle
in the 1340s, with them turning it into an
Warkworth Castle was taken over by English
Heritage in 1984 to serve as a Tourist
Warkworth Old Bridge is on the east side
of the Village, built in the late 1300s with
a Fortified Tower.
Club is about half of a mile east of the
Village, up a narrow road just past the Old
Bridge, founded in 1891.
Warkworth Beach Car Park is just before
the Golf Club, with a short walk from the Car
Park to the Beach.
737- Warkworth is first mentioned in
History after King Ceolwulf of Northumbria
awarded the Church and Village to the Abbot
1132 - St Laurence Church was built on the
site of the earlier Church.
1157? - the earliest parts of Warkworth
Castle were built with timber for King Henry
II of England, with a local named Roger fitz
Richard put in charge.
1174 - 300 locals were killed at St
Laurence Church during a Scottish raid just
before the Battle of
1200s - Warkworth Castle was built in
stone so it could withstand attacks by the
1327 - Warkworth Castle survived two
attacks by the Scots.
1345 - the Percy family from the larger
Alnwick Castle, 7 miles northwest, gained
control of Warkworth Castle, with them
extending the Castle to what can be seen
today. The Percy family worked for English
Kings, trying to control the English /
Scottish Border. It is claimed they used
Warkworth as their main Castle at that
1364 - Henry Percy
Hotspur was born at Warkworth Castle,
becoming one of the most famous Knights in
English history, leading English forces on
campaigns into Scotland and Europe.
1489 - the Hermitage was built into Rock
on the bank of the River Coquet under 1 mile
west of Warkworth to be used for religious
services, with boat trips now available to
cross the River for visits.
1700s - Warkworth Castle began falling
into disrepair as the Percy family were
mainly living at Alnwick Castle.
1800s - repairs were made to Warkworth
Castle to prevent further decline.
1984 - English Heritage took control of
Warkworth Castle to serve as a Tourist
Attraction, with entrance fees used to
maintain the Castle.